Friday, October 07, 2005

"We'll Always Be Friends"

I cringe every time I hear this phrase. Granted, I think I've used it a time or two myself. It seems to automatically doom, or jinx, the friendship once it's used. Have you ever noticed that? The few people that I can recall saying that to me in the past have slowly drifted away, some to the point that I never hear from them anymore. Except maybe once in a blue moon. Now, I'm not saying that using that phrase is what causes the friendship fade-out...rather, it's usually an indicator of friendships that aren't as close as they could be, and therefore it's no surprise when the friendship fades out completely after a certain point. Am I making any sense? I don't recall ever telling my closest friends that "we'll always be friends"...I may say that I'll always be there for them, which I mean completely, because I would do anything for a friend. Especially a close friend. Lend a buck, piece of paper, pencil. Give 'em a ride. Or just listen when they need somebody to. Whatever it is...I'll always be there for them. But getting back to what I was saying...what's the real point of telling somebody you'll "always be friends"? For reassurance? If the person is a close friend of mine, I'm not worried that we'll suddenly not be friends. Not all friendships last, but the close ones- some of them at least- stick around for many, many years, if not for a lifetime. When I make a close friendship, I don't let it go easily. But maybe that's just me...surely I'm not the only one like that. I just don't see the point in using that phrase...I guess "I'll always be there for you" is just about the same thing, but...I don't know, I just think it means more to tell somebody that you'll be there for them anytime they need you. Well, as long as you mean it when you say it, that is. Otherwise don't bother saying it.

Somebody used this phrase with me the other day and it just rubbed me wrong...can you tell? LOL.
Thoughts on this?

No comments:

"Every experience God gives us, every person he puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future only he can see." ~ Corrie Ten Boom