Friday, April 28, 2006

Memory, Fail Me Not

**My grandmother's now on oxygen, still at the hospital, because she's having trouble breathing, and my grandma's in ICU after she stopped breathing during a quick stretching of her esophagus (it only takes like 3 minutes or so to do it)...please keep them both in your prayers. It's hard to see older loved ones actually "getting old", you know? Anyway, on to my reason for posting today...

I have a great memory. I can remember names and faces, even if it's been years since I've seen a person...phone numbers of exes...birthdays of people I never see anymore (and people I see all the time, of course)...little, insignificant details from something in the past...the who's-with-who and goings-on of the Hollywood crowd (aka useless information)...the turtleneck I was wearing the first time I was asked out by such-and-such, or the first time I was kissed...MARC tags and what they stand for...and many other important and/or useless information...yet I have the hardest time keeping scripture (and the corresponding verse numbers) in my head for any extended length of time. It's ridiculous that I can easily spout off who's just broken up with who in Hollywood, or what an ex's phone number is, but I can't recite a simple Bible verse I memorized a couple of days ago, or a week ago. Not only is it ridiculous, it's frustrating. I know part of keeping things in memory-- okay, maybe much of it-- has to do with constantly using it. Not that I constantly use or recite ex's phone numbers or anything, mind you (lol)-- some things just stick for no apparent reason. I wish scripture were that way. Oh, sure, there's some scripture I've retained over the years, like John 3:16, or Philippians 4:13-- verses that have been beat into my head or recited around me since I was little. It's only natural (one would think, at least) that those verses would stay with me. But I want more of them to stick and stay with me. Is total and constant immersion and use of scripture the only way to retain it? If so, in what ways are you "using" scripture regularly? Witnessing is an obvious answer, but what else? Surely there's more than one way of using scripture. For me, I suppose using it would include posting verses I like, ones that mean something to me, on my journal, or writing them down many a time and placing them in various places, like on my locker at work, or on my bedroom door at home.
Just some things I got to thinking about last night...others' thoughts and "words of wisdom" would be great...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree, I am the same way. It's very very frustrating not being able to remember any verses. And sadly I didn't have anyone to beat them into my head when I was little. So you are actually better of than me. But that is definately something I want to do different with my kids. ~ Anna

"Every experience God gives us, every person he puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future only he can see." ~ Corrie Ten Boom