Hot News
Staff of ABC's nationally-broadcast television show "Good Morning America" are coming to Angier July 18, to celebrate National Ice Cream Day.
And it's all thanks to Cold Sweat.
It seems the Town of Angier, population less than 4,000, is now famous around the world for its ice cream. It all began when Scott Wilson, owner of Sunni Sky's Ice Cream shop here, experimented with a new flavor.
Unlike his usual sweet confections mixed with fruit flavors or other mouth-watering ingredients, this time Mr. Wilson took his ice cream making to the limit. He combined hot peppers, spices and sauces to form an ice cream experience that is being talked about literally the world over.
In an informal interview for a feature story in The Angier Independent last month, Mr. Wilson described his latest ice cream adventure as a "personal challenge for people that live in the world of extra hot."
Soon after the story about Cold Sweat ice cream was published in The Independent, The Daily Record in Dunn also printed the news about this unusual treat. This was only the beginning of what would soon be a worldwide news event.
Cold Sweat is quickly becoming a household phrase, as Mr. Wilson participates in interviews for radio stations, newspapers and television from major cities across the United States and abroad, including USA Today and MSNBC — even the New York Times has called.
Mr. Wilson described his new position in the spotlight as "way out of control."
"It's overwhelming in the sense that my mom and pop's ice cream shop has turned into people calling from other countries," he said. "(But) we'll be the same after this is over that we were before — we are a family business where everyone is welcome."
Great PR For Town
"I think it's great to have this kind of publicity for our town and the community," said Angier Mayor R.H. Ellington. I think it's great that someone in our area has created a new ice cream product that's getting this huge amount of publicity."
Town Manager Coley Price said of Angier's newfound publicity, "I think it's great for Angier. "Sunni Sky's has a great business with delicious ice cream. I eat there all the time. I don't care for any of the hot stuff though — I will stick with brownie batter," he said.
Town Commissioner Tom Woerner said, "I think it's a great example of small business success. We are blessed to have Sunni Sky's in Angier. This is just cool."
Sharon Korb, owner of Bright Blossoms Florist and Gifts in Angier, said, "Any hoopla is great. I know people who have gotten their name on the map for a lot less than hot pepper ice cream. Maybe people will come to Angier and see what we have to offer here."
Pattie Jones, owner of BalloonyBin, agreed.
"It is very exciting for Angier to get this kind of exposure. Hopefully people will come and see the other neat businesses we have to offer," she said.
Melany of Melany's Memories Antiques said, "It's fantastic — I hope this will help people see all of the wonderful things Angier has to offer. I would like to see downtown businesses get involved together, maybe have a summer sizzling sale to go with the hot ice cream. I would like to see local businesses show off Angier's wonderful small town charm."
Angier Chamber Executive Director Jamie Strickland summed up the excitement generated by the attention focused on Angier.
"When you have national and international media focusing on your town, that can only be positive for our business community," Mrs. Strickland said. "When little Angier is being talked about across the globe, that's big for a town our size, and I think it's awesome."
Meanwhile, Mr. Wilson credits the sudden spotlight to God.
"I prayed asking God to do whatever was His will for the ice cream shop, and this must be the answer to my prayer," he said. "We have seen people come in from other areas, and hope that this will steadily increase business."
Mr. Wilson agrees with city leaders that the notoriety is great advertising. But though he has had several requests to ship his latest ice cream craze, he said he does not plan to ship any orders out.
"I think I'll e-Bay a pint of Cold Sweat, just for fun," he said.
Mr. Wilson does plan to create a second, even more intense, version of the flaming concoction, for the few who "still don't seem to have total respect for it."
As for his own indulgence in the Cold Sweat craze, he said simply, "No. I'm afraid of it."
--Abby Smith, Daily Record, Tuesday, July 11, 2006
Very, very cool...especially if you've ever been there and had his ice cream-- it's wonderful...
1 comment:
I actually tried that cold sweat ice cream last night - it was super hot!
Post a Comment