Friday, December 09, 2011

Animal Stories

Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper

I LOVED this book-- who'd think that a cat blind from infancy could do so many things, and I daresay go beyond the normal capabilities of the average cat? Wonderful story, wonderful read.
It's been awhile since I read it, but I ran across this article on Homer the other day on another blog and got excited about the book all over again. :)

It's interesting--I never used to read nonfiction, nor stories about animals. Now that I have two Siberian huskies, I've become a bit of a dog lover, you could say (as my husky blog attests to), and nowadays I'm an absolute sucker for animal-and-their-human stories.

My all-time favorite animal story reads:
  • -Alex & Me / Irene M. Pepperberg
  • -A Big Little Life / Dean Koontz
  • -The Daily Coyote / Shreve Stockton
  • -Dewey / Vicki Myron
  • -The Good Good Pig / Sy Montgomery
  • -Grayson / Lynne Cox
  • -Homer's Odyssey / Gwen Cooper
  • -Wesley the Owl / Stacey O'Brien
I already own several of the books on this list, and plan to own them all eventually. If they're good enough to put on the list, they're good enough to read time and again. :)

There's two other books that I plan to check out very soon-- An Eagle Named Freedom, by Jeff Guidrey, and Oink: My Life with Mini-Pigs, by Matt Whyman.

As you can see, my animal stories are not limited to cats and dogs...Grayson is a baby whale, Alex is a parrot, the coyote has his own website...There's some very interesting (true) stories out there, if you just take the time to look and read a bit. :)

No comments:

"Every experience God gives us, every person he puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future only he can see." ~ Corrie Ten Boom