Sunday, January 01, 2012

New Year Resolutions and Other Things

Happy New Year's! Today's been a fairly busy day for me (alot more than the usual for me, at least)-- church, little family time, trimming bushes (my arms and wrists will make me pay tomorrow), house cleaning (sort of an early spring cleaning, I guess), and now, some blogging and photo posting. :) It's about time to wind down for the night, I guess...but not quite yet...

Most years I don't really think much about making resolutions for the new year. Everybody makes resolutions and then a few months, weeks-- maybe even days-- into sticking to whatever resolution, they break it, and may or may not try to get back into sticking with it again. Okay, so it's not the case for everybody, but it does seem to happen alot. Probably the most constant resolution I've made over the years, with varying degrees of success, has been related to my faith-- reading my Bible, praying more, attending church more regularly, etc. I suppose they're not bad resolutions to make-- it's just never been easy to stick with them.

With all that in mind, I plan to try my best at sticking by and achieving the following New Year's Resolutions:
--Attend church regularly. Since we've moved about 45 minutes from the church we enjoyed attending, coupled with the fact that neither of us (my husband and I, that is) are good at getting up in the morning unless we have to, it's been a bit hit-and-miss the last 6 months or so, I'm ashamed to say. But there's nothing like starting a new year with a fresh start, right?
--Put more effort into prayer and Bible reading. A domino effect from the first listed, plus being too absorbed in too many other things. Time to make things right again. I started a few days early on this one. :)
--Work harder at being on time to things. I'm HORRIBLE about this--my parents take part of the blame for this, but I really need to get better about it. My husband is great about being on time, and he's tried to rub off on me, but it hasn't done much good yet, I'm afraid.
--Be a better friend. This one includes listening more, really paying attention, and spending more time with those that mean the most to me. Moving further away hasn't helped, but it shouldn't be a reason to let people fall by the wayside, either.
--Strive to take a photo of something every day. Okay, so this one is a little more for fun, but I've thought about doing it for several years now, and I always forget from day one to try to do it. I've known of others calling it a 365 project, or something of that sort, and as a photographer, it's high time I tried it out, though I realize it's alot harder than it sounds. :) And on that note...

Today's photo of the day...a New Year's Sunset...
(Click here for more shots of winter sunsets.)

No comments:

"Every experience God gives us, every person he puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future only he can see." ~ Corrie Ten Boom