Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Double Meaning for 'Madly in Love'

"...People experiencing romantic love, it turns out, have a chemical profile in their brains similar to that of people who suffer from obsessive-compulsive disorder. Love blurs the line between mental health and psychopathology. Still, we can't resist the siren's song, and science has an explanation for that, too. Love, it seems, lights up certain areas of the brain and releases chemicals that provoke hyperactivity, recklessness, and exhilaration. That's why spellbound lovers stay up all night to see the sun rise, take extraordinary risks to see each other, or, as Britain's Edward VIII did, throw a whole country aside for "the woman I love." Love can be dangerous. A counterweight to the heavy sorrows of the world, love is a joyful part of life and a worthy subject...Science can explain how love affects the brain- but not the mystery of how it affects the heart."
--Chris Johns, Editor-in-Chief of National Geographic

So what, really, is this thing called Love (an excerpt of the article online)
February 2006 issue, pages 32-49

In light of the upcoming Valentine's Day and all that it entails (lol), I thought I'd post an article I read (ok, maybe skimmed is a better word) about couples in love, and what really makes couples stay together over time. Enjoy! :)-

No comments:

"Every experience God gives us, every person he puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future only he can see." ~ Corrie Ten Boom