Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Old Grapevine






I spent many an afternoon as a kid, playing under this old scuppernong grapevine with my sisters and cousin. I love to walk by it in the fall and breathe in real deep, when the grapes are in season and smell so good. The grapes taste pretty good, too-- except for the big 'ole seeds in the middle. Man, did I ever have a time with those seeds as a child.
The grapvine fell down once, when Hurricane Fran came through. My dad and his brothers got it back up to where it was supposed to be eventually. Seems like I recall several people getting stung by yellow jackets that fall, while trying to pick scuppernong grapes...
Great memories at my grandparents' house...

1 comment:

Heather said...

I've eaten scuppernogs straight off the vine before. They are great and there's nothing quite like them. Grapevines to me are always a reminder of God.

"Every experience God gives us, every person he puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future only he can see." ~ Corrie Ten Boom