Thursday, September 14, 2006

"The Family Stone"

Sybil Stone: Are those mushrooms?
Meredith Morton: Yes, those are mushrooms.
Patrick Thomas: Isn't Everett allergic to mushrooms?
Meredith Morton: He is?
Ben Stone: OK, what we got going on over here? Santa's workshop. Er... OK, wha-what can I do to be of service Meredith, wha-what can I do?
Meredith Morton: Oh, well... I think I'm all set. Everett had to run some errands in town, then he and Thad are going to meet Julie's bus...
Ben Stone: Are those mushrooms?
Meredith Morton: [shouts] I didn't know!
---------------------------------------------------------
Meredith Morton: Isn't there anybody that loves me?
---------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so it definitely doesn't come close to making my "favorite movies" list, but it had some funny parts anyway. It got me to thinking a little bit, though...one of the main characters, Meredith, is really uptight and ultra-conservative, and doesn't seem to really fit in with her boyfriend's laid-back family. It was almost painful watching how she interacted with others because she was so uptight. Sometimes I feel like maybe I'm a little like her. I don't think I'm near that uptight, but still...I think I tend to be perceived as this serious, proper, "smart" girl (except for the times when my "blonde" side takes over, lol) that doesn't know how to kick back and relax. Part of it's the way I was raised, and what my parents are like, but I know that can't be all of it.
Take, for example, this upcoming Halloween season. My group likes to dress up, according to various themes, each year for Halloween. This year's theme is wrestlers, I believe. Wrestling's never been my thing-- unless you count the times I've wrestled with my sisters when we were mad at each other, or goofing off. I've never dressed according to the theme before, I guess partly because I'm afraid to set the precedent that I will continue to do so in following years. However, I actually want to participate (sort of) this year, if only to prove that I don't always have to be Miss Proper at everything. Which isn't to say that I'll go dressed as something akin to a hooker or anything...I just don't want to be perceived as someone who's always "proper." Does that make sense? I can have fun just like anybody else, really I can...sometimes it just takes a little more for me to let go and enjoy myself. When I said I wasn't sure if I could (or would want to) dress like the women wrestlers do, one of the guys told me there were ones that dress "proper." That just reinforced my belief that everybody thinks I'm always the proper one. (Though I'm sure if Joey realized I would think that afterwards, he would've chosen different words.)
Maybe I just think and analyze too much...but there's times when I want to be taken seriously, and times when I just want to be like everybody else-- relaxed, laidback, and enjoying life. (I suppose the question of individuality and uniqueness could be raised at this point...but I won't go there, 'cause it isn't the point I'm trying to get across today.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey hey i don't think you're proper ALL the time - you've been around me too long for that. If you want to dress up for halloween i'll help you pick a costume cuz i have to go shopping for mine too. Talk to you later!

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Suzy wants to dress up like the rest of us,lol. That would be tons of fun girl, I will have to talk about that 2morrow at lunch. On a serious note I think we all want not to be tied down to a steriotype.

Heather said...

It's not really the "proper" that gets me... it's the not letting go and just doing things.

There is a line there that you should watch carefully, dont' compromise what you think is right because of any other person to "fit in" you should be able to be who you are without changing your standards.

"Every experience God gives us, every person he puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future only he can see." ~ Corrie Ten Boom