Wednesday, October 25, 2006

It Starts With Prayer

He had a bottle in his left hand an old Bible in his right
I thought now there's a sinner when he asked me for a light
He hit me for a dollar I just turned and walked away
I was feeling high and mighty when I heard him say
Pray for me
Pray for me
Pray for me and I will pray for you
I thought who is he to pray for me as I hit my power lock
And then the weight of my hypocracy fell on me like a rock
I caught him at the corner and I give him my last 10
I say please forgive me brother and until we meet again
Pray for me
Pray for me
Pray for me and I will pray for you
You know each of us is broken somewhere deep inside
And we're really not that different when you strip away the pride
We've all got our struggles and chains that we can't break
And you never know the difference one simple prayer can make
I stood there on the corner and I wached him drifting off
As the sun behind St. Mary's made the shadow of a cross
On a street of busy people and places on the run
I felt like calling out to each and every one
Pray for me
Pray for me
Pray for me and I will pray for you
Pray for me
Pray for me
Pray for me and I will pray for you
Pray for me
Pray for me
--Ty Herndon, "Pray for me"

Have you ever noticed how, when things get really bad, we turn to God, praying and asking for his help, seeking his comfort (and grace)...but when things are going really good, we seem to forget about God, almost as if to say "I'm doing good now, I don't need your help anymore, thanks anyway"? Maybe not all people do this, but I think I can safely say that most do...me being one of them. I remember when I was going through a really tough time a couple of years back, and it seemed like almost all I ever did during that time was read my Bible, pray, and just talk to God. Seriously. Every time I felt another wave of tears threatening, I'd dive into my Bible, or pray and talk to God until the feeling(s) subsided, and a sense of peace overcame me. Driving to classes and to work, taking a shower...anything and everything turned into time with God. It was the only thing I knew to do to get through that hard time. I grew alot in my knowledge of the Bible, and quoting scripture got a little easier...I felt so close to God. And although it was one of the hardest times I've been through, it was also one of the most amazing times as well, because of the relationship I had with God. I had joy, geniune joy, despite the circumstances going on around me. I had peace, even though I was hurting. My family and friends were a great support system for me (and still are today, of course), but I have to credit God first and foremost for gettting me through that time. With all that said...
I miss that time. Or, maybe a more accurate statement would be, I miss the closeness I had with the Lord during that time. Why can't I have the same concentration, focus, and motivation I had back then? I'm given so many opportunities in a day to talk to God, yet for the most part, I let them pass me by. Maybe I don't do it on a completely conscious level, but I nonetheless let those opportunites slide past.
I'm reminded of all the wonderful beautiful things/places/people that God has given me every time I take a picture...I've been given so much...
It begins with me making the effort --wholeheartedly, or it's not worth it-- and God will help me the rest of the way...

No comments:

"Every experience God gives us, every person he puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future only he can see." ~ Corrie Ten Boom