Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Discouragement-- A Parable

Once upon a time it was announced that the devil was going out of business and would sell all his equipment to those who were willing to pay the price. On the big day of the sale, all his tools were attractively displayed. Among the tools were envy, jealousy, hatred, malice, deceit, sensuality, pride, idolatry, and other implements of evil. Each of the tools was marked with its own price tag.
In a corner by itself was a harmless looking, well-worn, wedge-shaped tool, but it bore a higher price than any other tool. Someone asked what it was. The devil answered, "That is Discouragement." The next question came quickly, "And why is it priced so high even though it is plain to see it is worn more than the others?"
"Because," replied the devil, "it is more useful to me than all these others. I can pry open and get into a man's heart with that when I cannot get near him with any other tool. Once I get inside, I can use him in whatever way suits me best. It is worn well because I use it on everybody I can, and few people even know it belongs to me."
The tool was priced so high that no one could buy it, and to this day it has never been sold. It still belongs to the devil, and he still uses it on mankind.

--I quoted this from my Sunday School quaterly (Life Truths Learner Guide)...thought it was something worth thinking about, and sharing with others...


We all get discouraged at times...the key is to not let it control you, thereby giving the devil a stronghold in your life. God wants so much more for us than that...

No comments:

"Every experience God gives us, every person he puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future only he can see." ~ Corrie Ten Boom