Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Dave Pelzer Quote

“I believe that no matter how many mistakes we’ve made; how badly we’ve really, really screwed up; how old, worn out, or dejected we’ve become; as long as there is true, steadfast ambition, all of us have an opportunity for greatness. We all can summon the courage to deal with issues, no matter now overwhelming, painful, or degrading, that may have plagued or even paralyzed us in the past—once and for all. With determination we can stretch beyond the everyday barriers to better ourselves. Learning from our prior experiences, we can, and should, aspire to fulfill our dreams, making life better not only for ourselves but for others around us during the course of our life’s journey.”
~Dave Pelzer (quoted from Moving Forward: Taking the Lead in Your Life)


I haven't read this book, and I may never end up reading it, but I saw this quote on the book's back jacket, and knew I had to share it. I find it inspiring, especially considering all the author himself has been through over the years (books depicting his life growing up include A Child Called It, The Lost Boy, and A Man Called Dave). If someone who has been through so many extremely painful, degrading, and horrifying experiences in life can ultimately overcome them and have a happy, fulfilling life as an adult, then why can't the average, "ordinary" person do so as well?
We all go through up and downs in life. The question is-- What will you take from those situations and circumstances, and how will you allow them to affect your life from here on out?

No comments:

"Every experience God gives us, every person he puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future only he can see." ~ Corrie Ten Boom