I stumbled across this while checking in magaizines the other day and thought it was worth sharing. For my friends that play poker, this is for you... :)-
It's no coincidence that poker is one of the finest exercises for keeping gray matter active. The evidence mounts that doing pushups of the mind and aerobics for the brain helps keep us mentally fit. The long-term brain benefits that poker offers may be, frankly, the best reason to pull up a chair. "Poker involves mathematics, planning, and strategy—all complicated mental processes, and these are exactly what imparts the benefit of producing more brain neurons," says Paul D. Nussbaum, Ph.D., a neuropsychologist and an expert in Alzheimer's disease at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Further, a regular activity must be both novel and mentally challenging to prevent dementia, and poker can provide both forms of brain stimulation. "Poker will always involve an element of complexity because it involves playing people of varying skills, and your strategies must change," Nussbaum adds. And, unlike crossword puzzles, poker builds our neurons while we socialize. This offers incalculable benefits. -"Full House", AARP Magazine, July/August 2005
To read the full article, click here.
I'm so glad the workday is over...I managed to smash a finger and bend back a couple of toenails (to the point that they bled- ouch) within a one hour period today...I think I better go home before something else happens to me... :)
I've got Ocean's Twelve, White Chicks, and Meet the Fockers at home, ready to watch...anybody wanna come over and watch 'em with me? :)-
No comments:
Post a Comment