Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Precious Moments

My family and I went down to my aunt and uncle's last night to wish my uncle a happy birthday and spend a little quality time with their family. They have three boys, the youngest of which will be two in December. He is absolutely adorable (no bias on my part, of course, lol), and one of the happiest little tykes I know. He's learning to talk now, and while he still can't pronounce my name (I know, S's are hard to say at that age), he's found ways to identify some in the family:
Uncle Emery = "Meme"
Allison = "Aya"
My sisters, my cousins, and I sang (and did motions to) songs that I haven't sung in years...all for the benefit of the the little one, who ate it all up. (The adults in the room got a bit of a kick out of our performances, too, lol.) We sang "The Wheels on the Bus" (one of his favorites) and "Ring around the Rosie" (another favorite), and my sister and I did the "Hokey Pokey"...which my cousin kept trying to imitate the rest of the night. (My uncle decided it would be funny to videotape our Hokey Pokey dance, and the little one's reaction to it-- I'm sure it'll provide many laughs at future get-togethers.)
All us kids (yes, myself included) also tried to teach my cousin different animal sounds...he succeeded with a couple of them, namely "moo" and "neigh", but his reaction to "oink" and "the chicken" (you know, flapping your arms out by your sides...) was hilarious. He got the flapping thing down pat real quick, but couldn't make the "oink" sound to save his life.
And you know, I didn't take one picture. The whole time. Sometimes it's better to just live the moment and forever freeze it in your mind (and heart), than to take time out to capture it on camera, and possibly miss the moment in the process.

I love times like that with my family...

No comments:

"Every experience God gives us, every person he puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future only he can see." ~ Corrie Ten Boom